Bud's " Distract the Neighbors " Grilled Chicken
photo by AcadiaTwo
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 2 lbs skinless chicken pieces (For stove top grilling, I used thighs which were first pounded to 1/4-inch thickness)
- lemon wedge
- fresh rosemary sprig, for garnish
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped (fresh from our garden!)
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (Don't add too much or the cumin will easily overpower the other flavors.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- fresh ground black pepper
- Tip: I first rubbed the rosemary leaves in a pestle and mortar to release the oil and flavor. In a large non-reactive bowl (I used a gallon size "Ziploc" bag instead), combine the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and stir to coat them on all sides.
- Note: if you choose to cook the chicken on an outdoor grill, you don't have to pound the pieces first unless you want. Alternatively, the chicken pieces can be cut smaller and threaded on skewers to make shish kabobs.
- Cover well and refrigerate for a *minimum* of 3 hours. I marinated the chicken for a solid 6 hours but overnight will work, too. Turn the chicken pieces occasionally.
- To OUTDOOR GRILL: Place the chicken parts on the grill. Grill over hot charcoals for 10-15 minutes, turning frequently and basting with the marinade.
- To STOVE TOP GRILL: Heat the pan on medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the grill pan and cook on each side about five minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- Transfer to a platter and garnish with lemon wedges and fresh sprigs of rosemary.
- Prep time includes 3 hours required (minimum) for marinating the chicken.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow! This chicken was moist and had great flavor. My rosemary in the garden was looking a bit dried up so I used some dry rosemary too. My DH grilled 4 marinated chicken thighs on nonstick foil on our gas grill to reduce flare ups. The flavor was superb, and I will be making this again! Made for NAME tag.
Fresh, bold flavor! This was wonderful. It's not grilling time yet here in the PNW, so I actually seared this in a stainless steel skillet, reduced the heat, and continued until done, about 10 minutes. I ended up marinating the chicken (boneless thighs) for about 7 hours in a ziploc....worked fine. I had leftovers the next day and shredded them for quesadillas. Delicious. I'm loving recipes like this, with simple, fresh prep and full of good nutrition. Thanks for posting!
I really can recommend this dish because it was delicious.!<br/>I prepared this with fresh ingredients and rosemary from our garden. I marinated this 4 hours and after this time I barbecued this on a grill pan on open fire. Soo yummy.<br/>This was really appreciated from all of us and the neighbors were more than happy because I invited them for dinner.