Budget Rice-A-Roni Meatballs
This recipe makes the gravy from the seasoning packet included in the Rice-a-Roni, so there's no additional expense for the gravy. Got to make a dollar holler! :)
- Ready In:
- 1 (6 7/8 ounce) package beef Rice-A-Roni
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch in 3 tablespoons cold water
- Set seasoning mix aside.
- Combine the rice mix and the egg.
- Add the raw beef in a large bowl and mix together with your hands.
- Roll into meatballs (about an inch and a half).
- In a large skillet, brown the meatballs on all sides.
- Meanwhile, mix the seasoning packet and boiling water.
- Pour over the meatballs and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cornstarch/water mixture into the skillet and simmer for 2 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I'm sorry but this was not to my liking. I made as directed (excepted added a bit of finely diced onion and garlic for flavor). By the time the meatballs finished simmering all the water had been absorbed and there was only about a tablespoon of thick liquid remaining. Nothing left to make a "gravy" from with the cornstarch slurry. The meatballs themselves were tasteless and dry.Reply
I'm not going to select any stars. This recipe did not work for me. It is very puzzling because I see that Chef Shapeweaver thoroughly enjoyed it. I keep thinking the meat/pasta/rice mixture needs more liquid that just the one egg. Our meatballs turned out extremely dry and "gummy". I hope others will try this -- I would very interested in knowing what their experience was. Thank you for posting the recipe.1Reply
see 3 more