A rather unusual Moroccan Chicken Pie that is both savoury and sweet. Traditionally, it uses pigeon or capon, but chicken is a good, and more readily available substitute. This is really good, so roll up your sleeves and give it a go!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 10mins
- 1⁄4 cup butter, plus
- 1⁄2 cup additional butter, melted, for brushing phyllo
- 2 (4 lb) chicken
- 2 bunches parsley, chopped
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1⁄2 lb blanched whole almond, toasted lightly, cooled and ground
- 1 1⁄4 cups icing sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry, covered with damp towel
- In a large pot, melt ¼ cup of butter over moderate heat and add chickens, parsley, onion, saffron and 2 cups water.
- Bring mixture to boil and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board, reserving liquid, and let cool.
- Shred chicken and return meat to liquid.
- Bring to boil and cook, stirring, until almost all liquid is evaporated.
- Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine almonds and 1 cup of sugar.
- Add ½ of almond mixture to chicken, stir in beaten eggs, pepper and 2 tsps cinnamon.
- Preheat oven to 330°F and place rack in middle of oven.
- Line a buttered 13 x 14 inch ovenproof dish with 1 sheet of phyllo.
- Brush generously with butter.
- Layer 5 more sheets of phyllo in the same way, brushing each one generously with butter.
- Sprinkle remaining almond mixture over phyllo and top with chicken.
- Cover with remaining 4 sheets of phyllo, buttered, folding in edges to enclosed filling and brushing more butter over top.
- Bake pastry for 25-30 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Sift remaining ¼ cup sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon over top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 6 more