Bryan's Chocolate Lamb Chili
photo by JustJanS
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar or 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 cups canned red beans, with liquid
- sour cream, for garnish
- grated cheese, for garnish
- chopped onion (to garnish)
- In a large pot, cook onions and ground lamb in olive oil over medium heat.
- When onions are soft and meat browned, season with red pepper flakes, basil, cumin, cinnamon, garlic, chili powder, dried oregano, cocoa powder, sugar, and bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute for 1 or 2 minutes to allow flavors to blend and blossom.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans.
- Increase heat to bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Load into large bowls (or small, depending on appetite) and garnish with your choice of toppings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really good chili thank you and Bryan. I used Aussie lamb, and the only thing I did different was to simmer the chili very gently for 1 hour before adding the beans. I think this gives a more mellow flavour. I was thrilled to find a chili just for lamb, rather than using lamb in a beef recipe. I'll make this again.