Brussels Sprouts With Bacon and Walnuts
I'm shocked at how many people say they hate Brussels Sprouts and then devour these and ask for the recipe. These are simple to make and reheat well by just warming them in a skillet. Perfect for a holiday dinner when you want something new and different!
- Ready In:
- 2 (10 ounce) packages Brussels sprouts
- 2 ounces thick slab bacon, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 3 -4 shallots, sliced thin lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup gorgonzola, crumbled (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and then peel off any loose or damaged leaves from the sprouts. Trim the root end and cut each sprout in half.
- Cook the bacon, shallots, cranberries and walnuts in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat until bacon just begins to crisp, shallots are translucent, and walnuts are toasted, about 4 minutes. Transfer the mixture with a slotted spoon to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the skillet with the bacon drippings and season with salt and pepper, toss until sprouts are coated. If necessary, add a shot of olive oil to make sure the sprouts are coated.
- Put the pan in the oven and roast the Brussels sprouts for about 30 minutes, add the bacon mixture and continue to roast until the sprouts are cooked through and golden, about 10 to 15 minutes more. The time may vary based on the size of your sprouts, please watch then carefully. When done, they should be tender and golden brown.
- Before serving, top with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (optional).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Assuming you like Brussels sprouts, what's not to love about this recipe! We enjoyed all of the additions and the directions were very good. I used 12 oz of Brussels sprouts and halved the remaining ingredients, except bacon. I used 2 slices of thick cut bacon. I bet this recipe would be great to use on other vegetables as well. Thanks for sharing! Made for Spring PAC 2014.Reply