Bruschetta With Caramelized Onion and Fresh Basil
photo by sofie-a-toast
- Ready In:
1 baguette loaf
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil (NOT dried)
- 1 French baguette
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh basil leaf, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven on BROIL.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sugar; cook 15-20 minutes or until very soft and golden brown; stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Cool mixture slightly then stir in the fresh basil.
- Cut baguette into 1/2" slices. Place bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil the bread for 2 minutes or until toasted. Watch oven carefully!
- Divide and spread caramelized onion mixture over each bread slice. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and season with fresh cracked black pepper.
- Return to oven and broil for 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- Garnish each slice with 1 or 2 fresh basil leaves if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!