Brunswick Stew for a Crowd
photo by Zewbiedoo
- Ready In:
- 1 lb take-out barbecued pork
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (2 quart) can V8 vegetable juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans lima beans (can use frozen)
- 1 (15 ounce) can green beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can white shoepeg corn
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled & diced
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled & diced (yukon gold works well)
- 1 -2 medium onion, peeled & diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 1 cup carolina treet barbecue sauce (to taste)
- Put a 14-quart cast iron pot on outdoor gas flame (be sure it is secure and won't tip over and that children are kept away).
- Put in about 1 gallon of water, whole chicken (discard giblets) and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Let boil 30 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- When the chicken is done, remove it from the pot, leaving the broth boiling, and set it aside to cool.
- Add all vegetables and barbecued pork to the chicken broth remaining in the pot.
- Debone and shred the chicken meat and add to the pot.
- Add enough V-8 juice to get the desired consistency.
- Add garlic and seasonings.
- Cook on high simmer/low boil for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from settling to the bottom of the pot.
- Taste before serving and add additional seasoning if necessary.