Browned Chicken Fricassee With Mushroom Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens, cut into serving portions
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 slice onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons chicken fat
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (10 1/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken in a large pot; add vegetables, seasonings and water, bring to a boil and simmer until tender (about two hours).
- Remove meat and drain very well; reserve stock.
- Roll pieces of chicken in flour to which salt and pepper have been added.
- Saute in butter until golden.
- Arrange chicken on a serving platter and pour hot mushroom sauce over the top.
- For the mushroom sauce: heat the fat in the pan in which chicken was browned.
- Add flour and blend.
- Add chicken stock gradually, stirring constantly and cook until thickened.
- Add soup and adjust seasoning.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!