These cookies are easy and delicious. Browning the butter is the key. Prep time includes browning the butter and cooling the butter. Cook time is just the actual baking time.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup salted butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 cup total of decorator colored sugar sprinkle or 1/8 cup regular white sugar
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Continue cooking, watching closely. It will foam well, then stop and just bubble; keep cooking and swirling butter until it begins to foam for the second time and gets a golden-brown color w/ flecks in it----should take about 5-6 minutes. Immediately remove from heat; place in a bowl and chill for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, combine browned butter, sugar, egg and vanilla and beat together well. Gradually beat in the flour until well mixed.
- With clean hands, roll dough into 1-inch balls----place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Dip tines of fork into sugar(s) and flatten cookie tops. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden-brown. Allow to cool 1-2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this recipe for an ADOPT an Orphaned Tag game in the Game Room...I've never done a 'browned-butter' cookie before, so the approach was unique for me...Once I had the dough all mixed I used a 1 oz. disher to scoop the dough out of the bowl and onto the cookie sheet (for larger cookies)...I then took a fork and flattened them down by half (for thicker cookies)... Since they were larger cookies I did not get the yield specified, but instead netted a yield of 18 cookies...They baked lightly golden in the 15 minutes given...I let them cool 10 minutes and then sampled one, it was nice...UPDATE: Took the rest to work for the coffee cart and everyone liked them...Thank you for posting this recipe!Reply