Brown Sugar Cookies
A simple recipe my husband got from a coworker many years ago. Prep time does not include chilling time.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup nuts, finely chopped
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until light and flutty.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar together.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in nuts.
- Separate dough into four parts.
- Roll each part into a cylinder about 1 1/4" thick.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, unwrap, and slice on a slight diagonal.
- Place about 1" apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on edges.
- Cool on wire racks.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made for KK's forum Mini Cookathon. Thank you so much for posting the correction to this recipe, once made with that these are wonderful cookies, easy to make, and I think you could even freeze the dough for future cookie making which is what I am doing with another batch I am doing now. I think a bit of glaze or frosting on this would add to them wonderfully, and a garnish of half a walnut would be neat too. These would also make great Lunch Box cookies for the kids. Thank You so much for a wonderful cookie.