Brown Rice With Shiitakes and Scallions
- Ready In:
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps sliced or 1 cup dried shiitake mushroom, slices
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced scallion (green part only)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts
- Soak shiitakes in 3 cups hot water until soft, as directed on package (at least 25 minutes). Save soaking water.
- Strain soaking water through a fine-mesh sieve into a large saucepan; add rice, shiitakes, soy sauce and salt. Bring to a boil, stir and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until all liquid has evaporated and rice is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow to rest 10 minutes. Stir in scallions, sprinkle with peanuts and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband and I are pastors who work with college students and young adults and we absolutely love it! The students are my "kids" and constantly teach me new things and keep my life interesting. I have posted many recipes here at their behest. Sometimes I think they just love me 'cause they know that can come over and get a fresh homecooked meal -a great break from their sketchy college cafeteria food! I grew up in a beautiful, loud, fun, albeit slightly crazy, Spanish-Italian family where cooking is not just about putting food on the table -it is an art. An intense, passionate art of carefully guarded secret recipes. So cooking is in my blood and I enjoy it immensely. I love having dinner parties just so I can whip up fancy new recipes. And the college students are always happy to be my guests!