Brown Rice With Apples and Cranberries
This dish is inspired by a wild rice salad recipe of Martha Stewart's. It is good cold or room temperature, but I prefer it heated up. It is better to make it at least a day before and refrigerate it. This gives the flavors time to blend.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 rome apple, cored and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- For Baked Brown Rice:Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.
- Bring the water, 1 Tablespoon butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour. At this point, rice can be refrigerated for several days.
- For the rice dish: Place the rice in a bowl. Melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a medium skillet. Saute the apple with the pinch of cloves until golden and softened a bit.Transfer to the bowl of rice.
- In the same skillet, heat the olive oil. Saute the celery and onion until translucent. Transfer to the bowl with the rice mixture. Add the cranberries. Mix and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegars, lemon juice and water. Pour over the rice and combine well. Refrigerate to store.