Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes (Michael Smith)
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- Cut the potatoes into large chunks then steam, boil or microwave them until they’re tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, toss the butter into a small saucepot and heat it until it melts over medium heat. Because butter contains as much as twenty percent water it will then begin to steam and foam. Once the water has evaporated the foam will subside and the butter’s temperature will begin to rise. The milk fat solids that are one or two percent of the butter will then begin to brown.
- Continue watching as it begins foaming a second time. Swirl it gently, watching the colour, until it turns golden brown and releases the aroma of toasting nuts.
- Immediately pour the browned butter into a bowl to stop it from browning further.
- When the potatoes are tender mash in the butter, nutmeg and seasonings. Taste and season a bit more if needed. Then watch the bowl empty!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great mashed potatoes, very buttery and flavorful, to go along with our roasted chicken quarters. I am not a big fan of adding nutmeg to savory dishes, so just added a tiny shake and that worked out well for my tastes. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Made for your win in the football pool, congrats my friend!!!