Brown Butter Green Beans in the Microwave
Browning butter is a French technique that gives butter a rich and nutty flavor and this recipe has been simplified by preparing it in the microwave oven. Am posting this as a request for recipes for college bound kids. In this particular situation she is right in the heart of NYC.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed or 16 ounces frozen green beans
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Microwave butter in a 2-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until butter is brownish in color. (Watch it so as not to scorch it).
- Remove from microwave, and immediately add minced garlic.
- Place green beans, onion, and 3 T water in a microwave safe bowl.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape.
- Microwvae on HIGH 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain.
- Toss together hot beans and sliced onion, brown butter mixture and salt; sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and for extra kick -- crushed red pepper flakes.