Broiled Brandy Saganaki
Most saganaki seems to be fried with ouzo. Thought this might be a good alternative for those who don't want to "fry" or don't have ouzo on hand. Got this recipe from "Food Festival USA" cookbook. Haven't tried it yet, but it sounds good! Posted for ZWT II - Greece
- Ready In:
- 1 lb kasseri cheese, cut in wedges
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Place cheese on a buttered broiler pan. Pour on melted butter. Broil 4 - 6 inches from heat until cheese is bubbly and golden.
- Warm brandy in microwave or small sauce pan.
- Place cheese in ovenproof dish to flame before serving.
- Pour warmed brandy over hot cheese and ignite immediately.
- Squeeze lemon over cheese as flame begins to die.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
The taste is wonderful and just as I remember from a number of greek restaurants in Chicago. It should have been easy to make...but my brandy wouldn't light and in my attempt to reheat, I ended up with a molten lake of utterly delicious toasted kasseri. Yum. But it ISN'T supposed to look like mine did. I shall try again and maybe get a better photo.