Cheesy Broccoli Quiche
photo by kiwidutch
- Ready In:
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 1⁄2 sliced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2⁄3 cup broccoli floret, blanched and drained
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere or 3/4 cup swiss cheese
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Brush frozen crust with egg yolk and prick thoroughly with a fork.
- Prebake according to package instructions.
- Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Mix the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Spread the onion, broccoli, and cheese on the bottom of the pie crust.
- Pour in the egg mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes, or until set and browned.
I used Millers pastry recipe for this, not having frozen pie crusts available here. This was easy to make, tasted yummy and dissapeared steadily. DH said he would have prefered it with "a little something extra" to give it some zing, but I liked it just the way it was and so did our fostor son. I like the fact that it's a quiche recipe that doesn't take 10 eggs...(well you know what I mean) and that it's an interesting way to present broccoli for a change, so I'm pleased to put this into my family cookbook for future menu's. Please see my star rating system... a well deserved 4 stars. Thanks !!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm a 35-year-old mother, musician, and amateur chef. I love farmer's markets and fresh vegetables!</p>