Broccoli, Pasta, and Pesto Salad
- Ready In:
- 2 cups uncooked fancy pasta
- 2 2 cups chicken or 2 cups turkey
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed til barely tender
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaf
- 2 -3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise or 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cook and drain pasta; cool.
- Combine pasta, meat, broccoli, and cheeses in large bowl.
- Put basil and garlic in food processor or blender; whiz.
- Add mayo to food processor or blender.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Stir into pasta mix.
- Toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- During the last 1/2 hour of chilling time, toss once to mix.
- For color contrast, serve with cherry tomatoes, cut in halves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The recipe overall tasted good - I liked the combination and the suggestion to only partly cook the brocoli. The tomatoes were also a good addition. However, this was my first time making a pesto and I don't think I added quite enough basil, making the dish seem like it was lacking in something. I will try it again in the future and try to intensify the flavors. This seems like a dish that can be used for a multitude of things. Thanks for posting :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Still in West Virginia but we've moved a few miles away, down to the county capitol. It's a compromise: bigger than our last town but smalelr than the "big city" of Cumberland MD, right up the road. Jobs are not that plentiful here so I am fortunate to be able to work at home (I'm a writer). My passion is cooking and feeding people family well....my pet peeve is the family court systems in America......my love is for emergency medicine and the people that make survival in a crisis possible