Ultimate Broccoli Cheese Soup
photo by newmama
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb broccoli, washed cut
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in butter. Set aside.
- Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and slowly add the half-and-half (this is called making a roux). Add the chicken broth whisking all the time. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat till veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper. The soup should be thickened by now.
- Pour in batches into osterizer (blender) and puree.
- Return to pot over low heat and add the grated cheese; stir until well blended. Stir in the nutmeg.
- This soup can be easily doubled.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this following the recipe other than subbing veggie stock for chicken since I'm vegetarian. I thought it was delicious! My 15 year old can't get enough of it and that is saying something! yes, it was thick, but, as soon as you reheat it thinned out. I did add smidge of milk one time and that worked well to thin it out.
see 6 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live right outside of DC. I enjoy cooking -- mostly simple recipes in my everyday life, but I also enjoy some more complex things when I have the time.