Broccoli Brain Power Salad
This is a very healthy, tasty and colourful salad that I got from a "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine. Enjoy! :)
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise or 1/4 cup salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded (1 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons bacon, crumbled crisp-cooked
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup water chestnut, sliced, drained (optional)
- For dressing, in a small bowl stir together mayonnaise dressing, sugar, and vinegar.
- In a medium bowl combine broccoli, carrot, cheese, if desired, onion and water chestnuts.
- Pour dressing over broccoli mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and chill for 1 to 5 hours.
- Makes 4 side-dish servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a wonderful salad. Had it for lunch today. I love the addition of cider vinegar to the salad dressing. I did make a few substitutions though, because of ingredients I had on hand....or didn't have. No fresh red onions, so I just used dried. By time they sat in the dressing, they had softened up nicely. I also changed the cheese. I have these 'sting cheese' sticks that keep falling on the floor every time you open the door. Time for those suckers to hit the road, so that's what went into the salad. I also didn't have water chestnuts. Too bad, cause I love the crunch. Instead, I used diced dates. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So what do dates have to do with chestnuts? Nothing of course, but they were winking at me, so in they went. Really added to the overall taste of the salad. I also used fresh ground black pepper, cause frankly since Billy bought me a new pepper mill, I've been going nuts with the thing. I also added a bit of salt, cause that's just me. I loved this salad.....and it was so easy to make. Even at 6 in the morning. Thanks Nibbs!!!! Another winner.Reply