Broccoli and Chicken Casserole
photo by Brenda.
- Ready In:
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (or 1 can)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Cook and season chicken with salt and pepper. Boil, bake, steam, or fry. I prefer baking but because of time I often fry with a little olive oil. Chop and set aside.
- Cook broccoli. Steam or boil - no need to season. Leave in spears or large florets.
- Saute onion and garlic just until slightly soft. 3-5 minutes.
- Mix can of cream of chicken soup with water.
- Layer in 13X9 pan. Chopped chicken on the bottom, followed by broccoli, onion/garlic, mushrooms, soup mixture, salt and pepper, and cheddar cheese on top. Additionally you can add toasted breadcrumbs on top of the cheese if you wish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Anytime my entire family eats a meal without compaining I'm impressed - and this was a big hit with my kids (3, 5 and 8)! I baked the chicken after sprinkling with seasoning salt and olive oil. I also diced then parboiled 4 medium potatoes and added them on top of fresh mushrooms (mmm...cheezy potatoes!). Covered with foil to bake then uncovered, added breadcrumbs and baked for the final 10 minutes. I did have to dump some extra liquid after baking so I will probably eliinate the water next time and I may skip the shrooms since the kids aren't fans.
This was a hit at dinner last night! I did double the cheddar cheese, and used seasoning salt vs plain salt. I used fresh mushrooms which led to a lot of juice in the bottom of the casserole but that was ok as we served this over rice and it was nice to have a little excess moisture. I am so happy I have leftovers for lunch today. Thanks for sharing, I will definitely make this again. *Made for Spring PAC 2009*
I really loved the recipe! Super easy to make.<br/>And very delicious! I substituted garlic and onions for garlic salt and onion salt.<br/>Also I didn't have mushrooms, but I had a can of cream of mushroom, so I used half a can of cream of mushroom and half a can of cream of chicken with the recipe 1/2 a cup of water as my soup mixture. It came out great!!!! My husbands was in a casserole coma lol