Brittany Chicken Casserole
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups kidney beans or 2 1/2 cups your favorite beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 slices bacon (thick slices or streak of lean/streak of fat or fatback)
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon plain all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cider
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 14 shallots
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 ounces ready cooked whole beetroots (beets)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cook beans in salted boiling water for 25 minutes.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a flameproof casserole (dutch oven or large stockpot).
- Add the bacon and chicken.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour.
- Add the cider and chicken stock, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and the cover the pot.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- About 15 minutes before it is done, remove the lid.
- In a frying pan, gently cook the shallots and honey together for about 5 minutes.
- Turn the shallots frequently.
- Add the shallots and cooked beetroot to the casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 15 more minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Beautiful and mildly-flavored chicken and beans. I attempted to make this lower fat and sacrificed too much flavor because of that. I don't recommend using chicken breast meat or turkey bacon. When using chicken pieces, remove the cooked pieces before adding the beets and add them back to each individual serving so that the pieces aren't discolored by the beets. This is great comfort food. Follow the recipe and enjoy.