Breakfast Mac & Cheese
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 12 ounces breakfast sausage, removed from casing
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 4 ounces cream cheese, diced
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 8 ounces macaroni, cooked for 6 minutes, drained and rinsed with cool water
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 10 ounces cooked tater tots
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sliced scallion tops
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking apart into bite size pieces, until browned. Stir in flour until completely combined then add the milk and bring to a simmer. Once the mixture has thickened, stir in the cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese until completely combined and melted.
- Fold in the cooked macaroni, tomatoes, salt and pepper and transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with tater tots, then use a spoon to create 6 wells and break eggs into each well. Top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheeses, avoiding covering the eggs. Bake until egg whites are set, about 12-15 minutes.
- Top with sliced scallions and serve.
Oh my, was this delicious! Few tweaks, as we don't like breakfast sausage. Used an equivalent amount of bacon, cooked and crumbled, saving the bacon fat to cook the onion in. Also used light cream cheese. The monterey jack cheese adds a super-melty gooey texture. Used a bit more Tater Tots than the original recipe, but would suggest gauging how many you need for the pan used, allowing for space for the eggs. We have made this for dinner, too.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!