- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato puree
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (or to taste)
- Pick over and rinse the beans; set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until fat is rendered. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, garlic, cumin, bay leaves, brown sugar and enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Cook until the beans are tender. .
- Add the tomato puree and salt and pepper to taste and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 20 minutes. Just before serving, stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!