Brazilian Beef Stew (Feijoada)
photo by Ingrid Nicolich-Obr
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 1 lb beef stew meat, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces kielbasa, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed and pureed
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- sliced jalapeno
- orange wedge
- orange zest
- Brown meat in oil in batches in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer meat to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Brown kielbasa in same skillet, 3 minutes per batch. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Deglaze skillet with orange juice, scraping up brown bits on bottom of pan; set aside.
- Combine onions, tomatoes, beans, garlic, and chili powder in a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker. Stir in browned meats and deglazing liquid. Cover slow cooker; cook on high setting until steak is fork tender, 4 hours.
- Add vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each serving of stew with jalapeno slices, orange wedges and zest.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Always looking to try something new.