Brandied Sweet Potato-Apple Gratin
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 4 large sweet potatoes, baked until soft and peeled (or two 15.5 oz. cans sweet potatoes, drained)
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg, a pinch
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Make it now: in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the sweet potatoes, 2 tablespoons of the butter, the brown sugar, corn syrup, brandy, cinnamon, and nutmeg at medium speed, until smooth.
- Coat the inside of a 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread half of the sweet potato mixture in the dish; top with a layer of apples, then the remaining sweet potato mixture.
- Cover the sweet potatoes with the remaining apple slices, arranging them in an artful pattern.
- Brush the top of the apples with the remaining butter, completely coating the apples so they don't discolor.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Bake it later: defrost the casserole in the refrigerator overnight, if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 350°; allow casserole to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the apples are golden brown; serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!