Bran Muffins from Sarabeth's Bakery
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- softened unsalted butter, for the pan
- 1 2⁄3 cups wheat bran (not bran breakfast cereal)
- 1 2⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄3 cup mild honey, plus
- 1 tablespoon mild honey
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- Position a rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 400°.
- Brush the insides of 10 muffins cups with softened butter, then brush the top of the pan.
- Whisk the bran, flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat the butter in the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Gradually add the sugar; beat, scraping the sides of the bowl often with a silicone spatula until the mixture is very light in color and texture, about 5 minutes.
- Add the honey and beat for 1 minute.
- Gradually add in the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Decrease mixer speed to low; in thirds, beat in the bran mixture, alternating with two equal additions of milk, scraping down the sides of the bowl often, and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the raisins.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch diameter ice-cream scoop, portion the batter, rounded side up, into the cups.
- Bake for 10 minutes; decrease oven temperature to 375° and continue baking until the tops of the muffins are browned and a cake tester comes out clean, about 15 minutes more.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove muffins from pan to wire rack and cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!