Bran Date Bread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached flour, Sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sourdough starter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk or 3/4 cup sour milk
- 1 cup pitted dates, Finely Chopped
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, Grated (ZestOnly)
- 2 large eggs, Beaten
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, Firmly Packed
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Dust dates with 1 T flour mixture, then add to the bowl.
- Then add the brown sugar, all bran, and grated lemon peel.
- Combine 3/4 cu buttermilk, 2 beaten eggs, 1/4 cup vegetable oil.
- Add all once to flour mixture with the sourdough starter, stirring until well moistened.
- Pour into greased or waxpaper lined loaf pan about 9 x 5-inches.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Allow to stand 10 minutes in pan and then remove from pan and cool until cold.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and place in Refrigerator.
- Use cream cheese or home made butter on this bread for an out of this world taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is an excellent quick bread. I was able to use Splenda brown sugar blend for the brown sugar and mixed in some whole wheat pastry flour for part of the flour. Mine did not bake up as high as I would have liked so I would probably use a smaller pan next time around. Also, I would highly suggest allowing this to sit overnight as is the case with most quick bread. This allows the flavors to blend together and the bread is more moist.Reply