Bran Crepes With Welsh Rarebit Filling
- Ready In:
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup natural bran
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cooked beef bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- To make the crepes:.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the milk using a blender or electric mixer.
- Add the bran, flour, salt and sugar and beat well.
- Mix in the vegetable oil.
- Set aside and allow to stand for at least an hour before using. Stir and, if too thick, thin with a little milk.
- Pour one or two tablespoons of the batter in the middle of a hot, lightly oiled crepe pan (or frying pan). Tilt the pan to spread the batter and cook until the top is dry. Turn over and cook on the other side for about 15 seconds.
- Recipe should make 12 crepes.
- To make the filling:.
- Mix together the cornstarch and cheese in a saucepan.
- Add the milk, dry mustard, worcestershire sauce and eggs. Mix well.
- Cook over a low heat until the cheese melts, stirring constantly.
- Add half the bacon bits to the cheese mixture.
- Fill the crepes with 2/3 of the mixture and fold over.
- Place in a buttered shallow baking dish and spoon on the chopped tomatoes. Pour on the remaining sauce.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and remaining bacon bits. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!