Braised Sea Cucumbers With Chinese Vegetables
photo by SkipperSy
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 lb pre-soaked sea cucumber (found in Asian Markets)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 green onion (spring onions cut in half)
- 4 slices ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 6 green onions (spring onions, cut diagonally 1 in size)
- 6 slices ginger
- 6 Chinese black mushrooms, medium size (dry)
- 8 ounces bamboo shoots (Champion, halves & chunks)
- 1 teaspoon rice wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 cup stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sesame oil
- Place the pre-soaked Sea Cucumbers under cold water, rinse well and make sure they are clean, cut the Sea Cucumbers lengthwise and then into medium bite size pieces, set aside (See “NOTES” below if buying dry Sea Cucumbers).
- Soak black mushrooms in warm water for about 15-30 minutes until soft, then cut away the stems, if the mushrooms are large cut in half, set aside.
- Cut the bamboo shoots into bite size pieces, set aside.
- In a small bowl “A” add the following: 1 tablespoon rice wine, 1 green onion, 4 slices of ginger, set aside.
- In a second small bowl “B” add the following: 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, ¾ cup stock, set aside.
- In a third small bowl “C” add the following: 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water, set aside.
- COOK INSTRUCTIONS.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil in a wok/pan until hot, add the contents in bowl “A” and stir-fry until it starts to release its fragrance.
- Add the 2 cups of water and bring to a boil, next add the Sea Cucumbers and cook for 2 minutes, then drain, set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a wok/pan until hot, add the 4 spring onions , 6 slices ginger and stir-fry until it starts to release its fragrance.
- Add the Sea Cucumbers, 1 teaspoon rice wine, black mushrooms, bamboo shoots and contents in bowl “B.”.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes under low heat and/or until the liquid is reduced to about half.
- Stir contents of bowl “C” and add to wok/pan to thicken.
- Add sesame oil and toss gently.
- Serve with white rice and perhaps another green vegetable of your choice, on the side.
- Store the Pre-soaked Sea Cucumbers in cold water and in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- If using dry Sea Cucumbers, you need to prepare it properly (re-constitute them), which can take several days See this URL - http://tinyurl.com/45zody .
- Read this interesting URL about Sea Cucumbers- http://tinyurl.com/4n5kvra .
those sea cumbers meals looked really yummy and looked really good you guys are really really really good chefs you know my whole family are really good chefs too and i am not saying my whole family are better chefs than you guys are both of you guys are really good chefs. From Ansley Marie Collins P.S if you guys have any kids and live in the USA we can have really fun playdates.