Braised Leeks with Garlic
photo by mums the word
- Ready In:
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add garlic and heat slowly until it begins to flavor oil, about 2 minutes.
- Add leeks and carrots, tossing gently to coat with oil and garlic.
- Add 2TB water, reduce heat, cover, and cook about 20minutes until leeks and carrots are soft.
- Remove lid, increase heat, and stir vegetable mix until thoroughly cooked, and most of the moisture is removed.
- Serve hot as an interesting side dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is only my second time cooking with leeks and I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed this dish. Cooking time was perfect though I did add another 1 TBSP water about 15 minutes into it because it looked a bit too dry to me. The colour was gorgeous so it is a nice showy side dish if you want to add some pizzazz to a meal. Thx Sarah!
I love to use leeks and this is a great way to cook them. Wonderful flavor with the garlic & carrots. I cut the recipe in half with no problem. Follow the recipe do not use more than the 2 tbsp of water as stated in the recipe, have heat on medium low. I like my carrots a bit crispy so only cooked them for 10 miutes (time depends on the amount and size of pan) I kept testing. Next time I may try someMaidera insted of water. We really enjoyed this recipe -May 8, 2003, Added comments: I have made this recipe several times and enjoy it each time - I tried using Madeira wine and found you need 3 tbsp. I like it both with water or with wine. Thanks Spinner, great recipe added comments 17 Sept2008 Made it again this time I used a light oil spray on the pan browned the garlic added the leeks stir fried them for 2 minutes added leftover precooked carrots , no liquid, and just stir fried until heated through about 2 minutes Wonderful!