Braised Beef With Mustard and Capers
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 2 ounces anchovies packed in oil, drained, chopped and oil reserved
- olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef, cut into small strips
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 ounce flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325°F Measure the anchovy oil into a deep flameproof casserole, then make up to 3tbsp with the olive oil. Heat the oil and brown the meat well, a few pieces at a time.
- When all the meat has been browned, pour 4tbsp cold water into the empty casserole and stir to loosen any bits on the bottom.
- Return the meat to the pan and add the onions, anchovies, capers, mustard, half the thyme and all but 1tbsp of the parsley. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Tear off a sheet of greaseproof paper big enough to cover the pan. Crumple it up and wet it under the cold tap. Squeeze out most of the water, open it out and press down over the surface of the meat.
- Cover with a tightly fitting lid, and cook in the oven for 2hrs or until the beef is meltingly tender. Check the casserole after 1hr to make sure it's still moist - if it looks dry, add a little water.
- Check for seasoning, then stir in remaining parsley and thyme. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread or mashed potato.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Manchester, UK with my fiance and young son. I work at the local hospital in pediatrics and love my job. I also love cooking!! I have a sweet tooth but try and make healthy family meals, I'm not against some lovely treats now and then though :)