Boston Battered Fried Fish
photo by pammyowl
- Ready In:
- 1 lb tilapia fillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- canola oil (for frying)
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan to frying temperature.
- In a small bowl mix dry ingredients.
- Add water and cider vinegar to make a thick batter.
- Dip fish pieces into batter then into hot oil.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with your favorite tartar sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I have been a gourmet cook for over 40 years. In the mid 70's I owned and operated my own gourmet bistro in Connecticut called Le Petit Gourmet and also provided a catering service for upscale clientele. <br /> <br /> I always had an entrepreneurial soul and was a front runner in developing frozen gourmet dinners. Because of a divorce, I didn't follow through which probably would have made me a very rich lady today. <br /> <br />In 1994, I founded the South Coast Gourmet Club in Florida, The South Shore Gourmet Club in Massachusetts and also the Chef Buddies Club.</p> <p>In 2012, I was chosen as one of the 100 amateur chefs out of the 50,000 who competed nationwide, to appear on Season 3 of Master Chef on ABC. I didn't make it through but it was an unforgettable experience. </p>