Boova Shenkel - Boys' Legs - Beef With Potato Dumplings
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 3 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- water or broth
- 12 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 onion, peeled and minced
- 3 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons shortening or 4 tablespoons butter
- 7 -8 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup dry bread, diced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Cover meat with water or broth; add seasonings to taste and cook slowly for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Cook potatoes until tender.
- Drain; add butter, salt and pepper to taste, parsley and onion.
- Mix well.
- Beat eggs; add to potatoes and beat mixture lightly.
- Let stand until pastry is made.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in the 4 tablespoons shortening or butter and add water, using only enough to hold dough together.
- Roll thinly on a floured board and cut into 10" circles (you can use a dinner plate as a guide).
- Spread with some of the potato mixture; fold dough to form a semi-circle, pressing edges together with the prongs of the fork.
- Place on top of the hot meat and broth, cover pot tightly and simmer about 25 minutes.
- While these are cooking, make a sauce of butter or bacon drippings; add bread cubes and brown. Stir in milk.
- Arrange the boova shenkel on a platter and pour milk sauce over.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!