Bone-In Chicken With Bacon & Thyme
photo by Stardustannie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200 g smoked bacon, diced
- 200 g brown button mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 750 g chicken thighs, bone in
- 150 ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat a stove-top to oven pan (eg Le Creuset) on medium heat. Add 1T of the olive oil.
- Saute the onions & garlic until translucent & just beginning to brown. Remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining 1T of olive oil, and fry the bacon until light brown and starting to crisp.
- Put the onions & garlic back into the pan, and add the mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute.
- Mix through the thyme.
- Place the chicken in the pan and pour over the cream. Bake in the oven for 80 minutes, turning twice.
- Grind over black pepper to taste & serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was just wonderful!! The boyfriend and I really loved every bite! Had 5 boneless, skinless thighs that I used. Also, I cooked the bacon first so that I could cook the onions and garlic in the bacon fat. Added some dry vermouth before the cream to deglaze the pan and add some liquid/flavor. Also, I wasn't sure if I should put the lid on in the oven or not so I kept in on for about 15-20 minutes then took it off. The boneless thighs only needed 40 minutes as Stardustannie suggests. Served it with some crusty bread and a salad. I will definitely be making this again. Thank you very much little kiwi chicken!
Total comfort food plus!!! I used 6 lovely legs (skinless bone trimed legs)and added about 1/2 cup of water, cooked only for about 40 minutes....YUM!! Thanks for sharing...this is such a simple, easy n very tasty recipe. I'm sure it will become a regular dish in at our table during the cooler months.