Boiled Raisin Cookies
- Ready In:
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Boil water and raisins together just until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Cream shortening and sugar together. Gradually add eggs.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Add water from the raisins and mix. Stir in raisins.
- Drop in spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375º for approximately 10-12 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These cookies are big, soft and kind of cakey. I had expected a crispier cookie but looking back at the recipe I gather that the amount of ingredients are actually more for a cake than for cookies.<br/>Having said that, there is nothing wrong with the cookies! Although I used a heaped tablespoon to make them I still got 49 cookies and as mentioned they turned out big, spread a lot. They baked for 12 minutes, smell good, taste good, what more can I say.<br/>Thanks for posting.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love to read...I love to cook...only there is that pesky business of cleaning up afterwards =)