Bogracs Gulyas (Kettle Goulash)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat bacon fat in a deep heavy pot.
- Cook the onions, peppers, and garlic until the onions are limp and transparent.
- Add paprika and cook until it has lost its raw taste.
- Add beef and remaining ingredients, except sour cream.
- Stir well to combine.
- Simmer in a preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Adjust oven temperature during cooking time so contents of pot remain at a simmer.
- Serve in shallow soup bowls with a tablespoon of sour cream on top of each serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a true authentic Hungarian recipe. In Hungary we would sit around the fire and cook this dish in Bogracs and socialize. Serve with some boiled potatoes or rice if you like. To kick it up a bit add a little hot Hungarian Paprika to it and 1/2 hour before the food is cooked, add one more thinly sliced onion to the pot. Delicious!!!
I have fixed this exact recipe for years and absolutely love it. Can't remember where I got the recipe, but the blend of flavors is wonderful. I use regular paprika, and yes, the amount is really correct. I also use canola oil since I don't keep bacon fat. This is a hearty meal which goes well with a green salad and some biscuits. Yum!