Boerenkool Met Rookworst (Curly Kale with Smoked Sausages)
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs kale
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 2 ounces crushed oats or 2 ounces porridge oats
- 6 large smoked sausage
- 6 ounces streaky bacon
- Clean the kale, strip off the stalk and vein together.
- Chop roughly.
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Cook the kale and bacon together in a little boiling water, salted if necessary, for 10 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes and the oats.
- Prick the sausages, and place them on top of the mixture.
- Cover the pan with a lid, and boil the mixture gently until the kale is tender and the potatoes are soft; this takes about 30 minutes.
- Remove the sausages and bacon, and mash the potatoes and kale together.
- Season as required, with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Replace the sausages and bacon, and serve with plenty of mustard.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm a vegetarian so I'm hardly going to make this these days for me so hence the 4 stars rather than the 5 stars. But I'm sure this recipe would go down extremely well. Mashing the kale and potato together is essential. I have never seen oats used so this is a less essential step. As a vegetarian I now cook the rookworst separately when I make this for my FIL because kale is one of my favourite cold climate comfort foods. I like to add lots of butter to my portion of the mash. Dad used to add a touch of white vinegar at the table. I have never tried mustard and nutmeg with this but I would expect it to be good,particularly the mustard.FIL doesn't seem to protest this version that's for sure!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm married (46 years to the same lucky guy) and have 2 kids, a daughter 41, a son 36, and 2 beautiful grand daughters (8 yrs and 6 yrs). I have always enjoyed cooking and baking, especially breads :) One of my favorite quotes:?? Computers are like air conditioners; they stop working when you open Windows.