Blueberry Lemon Loaf
photo by Chef Gorete
- Ready In:
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup butter, melted & cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Optional Lemon Glaze
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup icing, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Butter two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans and line the bottom and two long sides of the pans with parchment paper. I use one sheet and let it overhang a bit, then use the parchment to lift the loaf out of the pan when ready.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and stir with a fork.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix just until combined.
- In the bowl that you mixed the flour in, add the blueberries, lemon zest and 4 tablespoons of flour, tossing gently until coated. The flour will help prevent the berries from sinking to the bottom.
- Carefully and quickly fold the berries into the batter, then divide the batter equally between the prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for between 45 - 55 minutes, or until a cake taster inserted into the centre of the loafves comes out clean.
- Cool the loaves in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan using the parchment paper handles and let cool on a rack.
- Combine the juice and icing sugar in a bowl and beat with a mixer until smooth. Drizzle the top of the cooled loaf with the glaze, letting it pour down the sides.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born in the Azores in Portugal, but have lived in Canada for the majority of my life. Baking is my passion, so I'm always looking for some easy and great tasting recipes....this site is perfect for it.