Blueberry Lemon Crumb Bars
- Ready In:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter or 1/2 cup margarine, cut up
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, lemon peel and salt in food processor and pulse.
- With machine on, add butter through feed tube.
- Whisk egg with vanilla in bowl; with machine on, add through feed tube until combined.
- (Mixture will be crumbly) Press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
- (Crust will crack but that's okay) Cool.
- For the crumb topping: Stir butter and brown sugar in medium bowl until smooth.
- Stir in flour.
- Sprinkle blueberries over baked crust.
- Combine sugar and nutmeg in cup and sprinkle over berries.
- Crumble on topping.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into bars.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"<p>I am one of the early members of Zaar joining in October 2001. It was instantly my favorite site even though there were only about 5000 recipes. Back then the original owners Troy and Gay ran the site and they had a lot of interaction with the members. I miss them. <br /> <br />Through the years it still remains to this day my favorite go to site and the one that I send all of my friends and family to when they need anything.</p> 8724616""
Join The Conversation
These were wonderful! I used fresh blueberries. I made the recipe as written and did not think the nutmeg was overpowering at all. I took these to my Bible study and everyone loved them! I wasn't sure how cool the crust needed to be in step 8, so I let it cool about 45 minutes. It was still a little warm when I added the blueberries. Worked out great-everything came out evenly and lightly browned. Thank you for this recipe!
Had my kids and grandkids for the weekend. They love blueberries so I made these lovely bars for dessert. They turned out very well. I left out the nutmeg because I wasn't sure how strong that flavor would come through and I didn't think the kids would like it. I don't think we missed anything by leaving it out. Thanks for sharing this recipe.