Blueberry Flax Hot Cereal With Quinoa
This wholesome, hot breakfast cereal has the perfect combination of flavour and nutrients. You can substitute old-fashioned rolled oats for the quick cooking oats; just add them to the mixture after seven minutes of cooking time. From Quinoa 365.
- Ready In:
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons quinoa
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 -2 1 -2 tablespoon honey or 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flax seeds (ground or whole)
- 2 tablespoons blueberries, fresh or 2 tablespoons blueberries, frozen and thawed
- soymilk (optional) or almond milk (optional)
- Rinse quinoa well with water to remove bitter coating; drain.
- Place the water and quinoa in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and cover. Reduce to a simmer and cook for ten minutes. Stir in the oats, cover and continue to cook for another five minutes, until the oats are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the maple syrup and flax. Fold in the blueberries and top with milk, cream or yogurt, if using. Serve immedietely.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was perfect in every way! Easy to make, delicious, nutritious, quick, satisfying. I always use old fashioned oats and added them at the same time as the quinoa cooking them together for a total of 15 minutes. I think adding the oatmeal took a big of that "edge" off the quinoa. Opted for dried berries this time although I was out of dried blueberries I used blackberries in their place. Drizzled with a little bit of heavy cream, added a pinch of salt and both golden and brown flaxseeds. Made for Veg Tag/November.Reply
What with making smoothies at least 5 times a week for breakfast, we have just a day or two for eating cereals, but that might just change with this great kind of recipe that you've posted, Katzen! It makes for a very warming, satisfying first meal of the day! Definitely something we'll be having repeatedly in the future! Thanks for posting! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]1Reply
There will be no more going back to plain oatmeal now that I have tried it in combination with quinoa! This was just a great breakfast, satisfying and delicious...I especially loved the subtle crunch that the quinoa seeds give this porridge. Although the directions did not say to do so, I gave the quinoa a rinse before adding it to the water to remove the bitter coating.1Reply