MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Another recipe from my mom's chutney collection. Adapted from Southern Living. Good spread on top of cheese and crackers. Also goes nicely with grilled chicken or pork.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups blueberries (fresh "or" frozen)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Add the first 7 ingredients to a large pot; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the apple is tender, stir frequently.
- Add in blueberries and vinegar; bring to a boil Lower heat to medium and cook 40 minutes or until thickened; stir often.
- Divide mixture into air-tight containers.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week; freeze up to 6 months.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Thoroughly enjoyed making this recipe, & particularly liked the combo of the berries, apple & OJ! Froze half of it but we like it so much that the frozen half batch won't be there long, & I'll be making this again soon! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed as part of the theme Chutney? ~ Mango, Yes, & More! in the current Comfort Cafe]1Reply
I am fortunate, we have friends who own a blueberry farm, so we get flats of blueberries each year. I am always looking for interesting recipes involving blueberries and especially ones that I can use from the frozen state. I made this up with the intent of canning rather than using the freezer (lack of freezer space). I washed out the jars and added the hot chutney...they sealed properly and did not require a water bath. My only mistake, was that I let the chutney cook to long, so I ended up with 1-3/4 cups (instead of 3 cups). Next time, I will watch cooking time a little bit better and maybe add more seasonings to kick it up a bit. On the whole, a really nice recipe to serve over cream cheese and crackers and something that I will do again. Much appreciated NurseDi1Reply