Blue Crust Veggie Pizza With Goat Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1 cup blue cornflour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup very warm water (but no where near a boil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning, basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, etc (or 2 tablespoons total equivalent of mixed oregano, basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, etc)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (pick at least 4 ( bell peppers, mushrooms, beets, chard, kale, squash, carrots, broccoli)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (basil, rosemary, sage, thyme)
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- Sprinkle yeast into warm water in measuring cup, add sugar, and stir gently for 1 minute. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine nearly all flour (saving about 1/4 c for adding in later) with 1 tsp salt in mixing bowl. Make a well in center of flour, pour in yeast mixture and 1tbsp oil, mix flour vigorously into well with a wooden spoon until dough just begins to hold together. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, dust hands with flour and gently knead. While kneading, add remaining flour gradually until dough is not longer sticky. Knead for about 10-15 min more.
- Shape into a ball and place in a well oiled bowl, turn to cover dough completely in oil. Cover bowl and set aside to rise, about 2 hours. I have never gotten it ready soon enough before to be able to wait this long. Split dough into equal halves after rising. Using heels of hands form into 2 crusts, working dough from center out in a circle.
- For the sauce, put 1 tbsp oil in med saucepan, saute onions on medium heat, add garlic just before the onions are translucent, and saute for 1 more minute. Add diced tomatoes, stir occasionally until comes to a boil. Reduce heat, add paste, salt, dry spices, crushed pepper and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Spread layer of sauce on dough, I like a lot, you may not, then top with your chopped vegetables. Spread the fresh herbs on top of the veggies. When I am adding goat cheese, I think of it as more of another topping than something that has to cover the entire pizza, so it ends up being about as much as any of the other veg. toppings and just dispersed around the pizza, more for flavor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!