This is an adopted recipe from the RecipeZaar account, and I am delighted to be the new owner of such a winning recipe. Enjoy! ZWT REGION: United States.
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, more for the pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 ounces all-purpose flour (1 cup plus 2 tbsp)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, scant
- 2 ounces coarsely chopped toasted pecans (3/4 cup)
- Position an oven rack on the middle rung.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter and brown sugar, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Cook, stirring, about 1 minute longer--the mixture will bubble but should not boil.
- Set the pan aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, butter an 8-inch square pan, line the pan bottom with parchment (or waxed paper), and then butter the parchment.
- Stir the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla into the cooled sugar mixture.
- Add the flour, salt, and nuts, stirring just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the center is springy when touched (the top may still look doughy) and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (it's fine if there are a few moist crumbs clinging to it), 25 to 35 minutes.
- Set the pan on a rack until it's cool enough to handle.
- Run a paring knife around the inside edge of the pan and then invert the pan onto a flat surface and peel off the parchment.
- Flip the baked brownie back onto the rack to cool completely.
- Cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- This recipe can be doubled easily; use a 13x9-inch pan and increase the baking time slightly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation