Blitva (Croatian Swiss Chard Dish)
photo by Bruce69
- Ready In:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add peeled and cubed (1/2-1 in cubes) potatoes.
- Rinse the Swiss chard, remove tough stems, and cut into 1/2 in strips (or just tear into large pieces).
- When potatoes are almost done, add the Swiss chard, and cook all together for an additional 10 minutes (15 minutes if the chard is older).
- Sauté garlic on olive oil, and add the cooked drained chard and potatoes to it (you may keep some water so that it looks like a thick soup).
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir and cook for 1 more minute in order to bring all flavors together.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a unique and delicious recipe this is for summertime Swiss chard. I had rainbow chard, so I did use the beautiful red, purple, orange and yellow stems, first cutting off the tough ends, and then slicing them into 1 inch pieces. I cooked my Yukon gold potatoes in chicken broth, adding the stems to the pot for the last 5 minutes. After cooking the garlic lightly in the olive oil, I tossed in the chopped leafy chard and let it cook for just 2 minutes before adding the potatoes, the stems and about 1/2 of the broth. A generous grind of fresh pepper and in just a few minutes time we had a wonderful side dish to our meatloaf.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Because only five star reviews make no sense, and are not helpful if not sincere, I try to write honest and, as much as I can, fair reviews. So I came up with some "weights" for the stars and this is what they mean in my reviews: <b>5 Stars</b> = an excellent amazing recipe, the kind of dish that I would recommend to others, make again and again, and would not be ashamed to make for anybody. Basically, these are the recipes that would get 6 Stars if there were that many to give. <b>4 Stars</b> = a great dish! Just not the amazing great that is unforgettable and you would make for somebody as a special gift or a Thank You... <b>3 Stars</b> = a good recipe. If it's an easy simple recipe I would make it again for convenience, but would not do it often. Also, these are sometimes the recipes that I would substantially change the next time. <b>2 Stars</b> = edible, but just didn't work for us. Something is missing and with all other recipes out there would not make this again. <b>1 Star</b> = I am not sure what this would be. I imagine I am saving 1 Star for something that is inedible... I once made a horrible eggplant cheese casserole that we decided to throw out after just one bite. We did not even try to see if the dog would like it... Well, THAT was a 1 Star easily!