Bless Your Heart Low-Fat Cornbread
photo by Engrossed
- Ready In:
1 9-inch round
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup white flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 15 ounces black beans, mashed with liquid
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch cake tin.
- Combine the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the mashed beans, sour cream and hot water to the dry ingredients, blend but do not beat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes in a 400F oven, cool completely in tin.
- *Note* This is a very heavy bread, and as it has no fat it can dry out if overbaked!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm not sure what to rate this...I didn't like it but my Hubby did. I was intrigued by the addition of beans and it being so lowfat. I baked this in a 10 inch cast iron skillet which it filled to the top. I used 1T Splenda brown sugar and lowfat sour cream. I think it turned out kinda pasty and tastes a little bitter from the oregano. I think it would be improved with more salt and less beans. If you make this 8 servings, it is 5 WW points plus. Freddy Cat says hi! Made for PAC Fall 2011.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"