Blackfeet Nation Bannock
This recipe was written down by Chief Earl Old Person, chief of the Blackfeet Nation, and published as part of fundraising cookbook called "Montana Celebrity Cookbook." (1992) My only modification to the published recipe was to clarify the technique. This is traditionally served with roasted meats or with wild berry jams.
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Gradually stir in water until a thick dough forms.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until the dough is not sticky. It does not need to be perfectly smooth.
- Grease a 9 X 13 baking pan.
- Take a rolling pin and flatten dough until it is roughly the size of the pan.
- Place dough in pan and adjust to fit.
- Bake for 35 minutes. The bread should be slightly brown.
- Turn out out on cutting board or cooling rack. This bread can be cut while warm.