- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 (9 inch) baked extra-deep pie shells
- 1⁄2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, cold and firm, cut into small pieces
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 (16 ounce) box frozen dry-packed blackberries (individually frozen)
- 1 tart cooking apple
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a bowl, stir the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to mix well.
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture makes coarse crumbs; there may be some small pieces of butter still visible; that is fine.
- Adjust oven rack one-third up from bottom of oven; preheat to 350°.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and tapioca; add in the frozen berries, stir gently with a rubber spatula; let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel, quarter, and core the apple; cut it into ¼ to ½ inch cubes.
- Stir it into the berry mixture; sprinkle the lemon juice over the fruit and gently stir together.
- Spread the berry mixture in a smooth layer in the crust; slowly and carefully sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the berry mixture.
- To prevent rim of the pie from overbrowning, cover edges of pie crust with foil.
- Bake for 1 hour; then remove foil, increase heat to 450° and continue baking for 8-10 minutes, only until the filling begins to bubble up around the edges (watch it and do not let it bubble over.
- Remove from oven; at this point the filling will be thin and soupy, but when it cools it will become firm and will slice nicely.
- Serve at room temperature, plain or with vanilla ice cream.
- Note: it is important that the crust be high and not have any low spots or the filling will bubble over.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!