Blackberry and Bing Cherry Preserves
It was so hard for me to decide if I preferred blackberry or cherry preserves so I combined the two and came up with an absolutely delicious combination. This is scrumptious served over vanilla ice cream and topped with crumbled baked pie crust.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 lbs fresh blackberries
- 3 lbs fresh bing cherries
- 1⁄4 cup reconstituted lemon juice
- 7 cups sugar
- 2 (1 3/4 ounce) packages dry pectin
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Rinse blackberries and cherries.
- Press blackberries through a sieve or a food mill to remove the seeds.
- Stem cherries and remove pits.
- Coarsely chop cherries in a food processor.
- Combine blackberries, chopped cherries, pectin, lemon juice and butter in large stockpot.
- Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar all at once and return to a boil.
- Bring to a boil that cannot be stirred down and boil 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add almond extract.
- Let sit for 5 minutes stirring every 30 seconds.
- Ladle into sterilized jars using the USDA guidelines for water bath canning leaving a 1/4" headspace.
- Wipe rims and place lids and screw rings on jars.
- Place jars in water bath canner and make sure you have at least 1-2 inches of water covering the jars.
- Place lid on pot and bring to a hard rolling boil (do not remove lid).
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, remove lid from pot and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars from pot and set aside to seal and cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Perfect! This basic recipe is my go to for all berry recipes! I love that it is based on weight of the berries (takes the guesswork out), I easily halve it, and mix whatever I have, blackberries, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, etc in whatever ratio sounds good to me! Every year, for the past 4 years, my jams have been a hit with everyone. Thank you! This is the one recipe I have been looking for - LOVE IT!Reply