MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is one of the many recipes I gathered during blackberry hunting season. I would bet it'll work with frozen, thawed, and drained berries, too...I've only ever used fresh ones, though.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped or 1/2 cup blanched slivered almond
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients, then add the blackberries.
- Combine the wet incredients, then add them to the dry ingredients all at once. Mix only until moistened.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x5 inch loaf pan (AKA a large loaf pan).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until golden and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool completely before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I doubled this recipe. I used slivered almond because that is all I had left. I also used wild blackberries. With the almonds and because the wild blackberries tend to be more seedy I thought the bread was too crunchy. I couldn't really taste the flavor of the almonds. I used only 1/2 cup orange juice (and 1/2 cup water) and 1 tablespoon orange rind. (Someone had eaten my other orange). I would eliminate both the next time and just use water. The orange flavor was too much, I couldn't taste the berries. I did like the texture from the oatmeal. I would make this again, but with the changes mentioned.Reply