Black Russian Brownies
i got this in my email, and loving the drink i've got to try this dessert!
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate squares (4, 1 ounce each)
- 1 cup butter
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup Kahlua
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup toasted sliced almonds
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottom of 13x9 inch baking pan with waxed paper.
- Melt chocolate and butter with pepper in small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and cool.
- Combine eggs, sugar and vanilla in large bowl, beat well. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, Kaluha and vodka.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder and add to chocolate mixture. Stir until blended. Add walnuts. Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven just until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Black Russian is our favourite drink so of course I had to try this. Well-what can I say, Hubby had his third piece before it even had cooled off completely! Must say I was a little weary about the pepper, have never used pepper for baking anything sweet. At first I thought that it was a little glitch, something else was meant. Debated if I should leave it out. But then I thought, Chia knows what she is doing, the recipe MUST be correct. And indeed, the pepper belonged in these absolutely wonderful brownies. You can be assured that they will be made many, many times. So happy to have found this. Thanks a lot for sharing.
It's official. I have just replaced my regular brownie recipe that I have been making for over 15 years! Cake like and moist, these brownies are marvelous! I melted the chocolate and butter on low in the microwave, and baked about 28 minutes. I used chopped pecans because that is what I had on hand, and also used vanilla vodka. Thank you so much for sharing Chia. Nick's Mom